|ABOUT THE POSITION:||The Director of Programs is the top programs role at Reading In Motion and is charged with leading and strengthening the most-important function of the organization – getting more students reading at grade level and above. This is an exceptional opportunity for a hands-on leader to play a significant role in realizing Reading In Motion’s mission and vision. S/he will manage the 11-person programs team of in-school coaches, curriculum creators and data trackers. Founded 35 years ago, Reading In Motion is a results-driven literacy organization that gets students reading at grade level or above within the first years of school, especially those students whose environment or circumstances put them in greater need of support. We now have sites in Chicago and Las Vegas, Nevada.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Oversee the implementation of all Reading In Motion programs for students and teachers
· Analyze and report our robust programs data to evaluate programs effectiveness
· Hire, develop and supervise the 11-person programs team, including 7 teacher coaches, Curriculum Content Leader, and a Data/Extra Dosage Program Manager.
Planning and budgeting
· Create the annual plan for what programs to deliver, how many staff and other resources are needed, calendar and timelines
· Create and manage the annual departmental budget
· Assess programs’ performance on an ongoing basis, enabling and promoting a culture of learning, continuous change and the drive to capitalize on emerging opportunities.
· Manage the planning, creation and piloting of future program options
· Serve on the Senior Team of the staff
· Support the expansion of Reading In Motion’s impact and reach by working closely with the marketing and sales team, and the fundraising team, ensuring they have the programs information and access needed to establish and maintain strong relationships with prospective schools and donors
· Engage with the Board of Directors to ensure they possess an accurate understanding of Reading In Motion’s programs
|ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:||Reading In Motion offers an engaging, innovative literacy model, designed in both Spanish and English, that collaborates with teachers to measurably improve students’ early reading skills, to start students on the path for a lifetime of successful learning. Reading In Motion leverages its resources by training classroom teachers on its curriculum, which incorporates music- and drama-based elements in individual and small group sessions. These teachers deliver the curriculum daily, and Reading In Motion provides them with coaching, materials and monthly data on student progress so that they are better able to tailor instruction and attention to students’ individual needs.
Reading In Motion consistently drives significant gains in literacy for students. A recent study showed that the same Chicago teachers who were able to get 63% of their students on grade level using traditional methods (in line with CPS averages that year) were able to get 92% of their students on grade level the following year, after implementing Reading In Motion’s curriculum.
Reading In Motion currently has school partnerships with 38 schools in Chicago and 5 schools in Clark County, Nevada (Las Vegas).
|CANDIDATE REQUIREMENTS:||The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
· Bachelor’s degree required, master’s preferred
· A minimum of 7 years of professional experience, including at least two years of management experience
· Understanding of K-12 public education issues, especially around reading skill acquisition in the earliest grades
· Previous experience coaching teachers or other adults
· Experience managing teams, with the ability and desire to motivate, coach, and develop staff
· Excellent planning and project management skills, with meticulous attention to detail
· Entrepreneurial spirit, self-direction, and results-orientation, demonstrating initiative, resourcefulness, and follow-through
· Commitment to collaboration, transparency, and diversity
· Passion for the mission of Reading In Motion; commitment to the power of arts as an educational tool to expand children’s capacities and create lifelong learners
|COMPENSATION:||Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.|
|QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS, PLEASE APPLY:||To: firstname.lastname@example.org
Reading In Motion is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds.